Friday, March 19, 2021

From Rolling Stone's Best Alternative Albums of All TIme (The Article's On My Facebook Page)

Husker Du: New Day Rising (1985):  New Day Rising; The Girl Who Lives on Heaven Hill; I Apologize; Folklore; If I Told You; Celebrated Summer; Perfect Example; Terms of Psychic Warfare; Times the Pain; Powerline; Books About UFO's; I Don't Know What You're Talking About; How to ______ a Cat; Whatcha Drinkin'; Plans I Make.  NOTES:  I strongly suspect that this band influenced Charles Thompson, progenitor of Pixies.  

Oasis: Definitely Maybe (1994): [Lyrically very weak] Rock & Roll Star; Shakermaker; Live Forever; Up in the Sky; Columbia; Supersonic; Bring it on Down; Cigarettes & Alcohol; Digsby's Diner; Slide it on Down; Note:  Near perfectly executed from Up in the Sky through Bring it on DownMarried with Children; Hard-driving.  In general, the music is more main-stream, classic R&R.  Very high quality.  

R E M: Document (1987): Finest Worksong; Welcome to the Occupation; Exhuming McCarthy; Disturbance at the Heron House; Instrumental Track in the Style of R E M; Strange; It's the End of the World as we Know It, and I Feel Fine; The One I Love; Fireplace (Very Unusual); Lightnin' Hopkins; King of Birds; REM Style Instrumental Track; Oddfellows Local 151.

Pixies:  Doolittle (1989): This album is sacred to me.

The Smiths:  The Sound of the Smiths (2008) [Deluxe Edition], 44 Songs! (I'm Blown Away by this epic album.  The instrumentals underlying Morrisey's unique vocals is beyond belief):  Hand in Glove; This Charming Man; What Difference Does it Make; Still Ill; Exposed - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now; William, It Was Really Nothing; How Soon is it Now (It's got that electronic cadence that reminds me of Bone by RH. Fucking great.  I blogged it to AAE); Nowhere Fast; Shakespeare's Sister; Barbarism Begins at Home; That Joke Isn't Funny; Headmaster Ritual (Great. Just Great); The Boy With the Thorn In His Side; Bigmouth Strikes Again; There's a Light That Never Goes Out; Ask; You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby; Shoplifters of the World Unite [and Take Over]; I Started Something I Couldn't Finish; Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me; These Things Take Time; (to be continued . . . .) Stretch Out and Wait; Wonderful Woman; Oscillate Wildly; Meat Is Murder; Please, Please, . . .: Back to the Old House; Asleep (I'd love to hear Thom York); The Queen is Dead; Money Changes Everything (Instrumental);

Grant Lee Buffalo:  Mighty Joe Moon (1994)Absolutely Great!  And I rarely use exclamation marks.  Exclamation Punctuation.  Every song stands on its own.  "Mighty Joe Moon, there's no controlling you."  Indeed.

Frank Black:  Frank Black (1993):