Thursday, March 11, 2021

My Essential Pixies

 P  I  X  I  E  S and F R A N K  BLACK


Kim Deal, Vocals, Bass Guitar; Charles Thompson, a/k/a Black Francis, Vocals, Rhythm Guitar; David Lovering, Drums; and Joey Santiago, Lead Guitar.

Albums

Come On Pilgrim, 1987:  A+

Surfer Rosa, 1988: A

Doolittle, 1989: A+

Bossa Nova, 1990: A

Trompe Le Monde, 1991 A

In 1988 I was visiting a former boarding student from high school in Tullahoma, Tennessee when a television program, entitled Michelob Night Music aired.  David Sanborn was the host.  He introduced a relatively new band, called Pixies.  They played This Monkey's Gone to Heaven.  I was blown away.  Nothing else has ever come close to the charge I got that night from this performance.  

Frank Black's solo, sans Pixies, work is connected with a catchy-ness that's like nothing I've ever heard.  Catchy.  But it's more, much, much more, than that.  He's the Dylan Thomas of AltRock.  Prolific.  

Frank Black and the Catholics:  Devil's Workshop Album:  A, Every song is listenable.

Frank Black and the Catholics (1999)

Dog in the Sand Album (2001)

Frank Black, et al.  : Pistolero Album (1999)

Frank Black:  Honeycomb (2005)

Cult of Ray (1996)

Black Letter Days (2002): 

Devil's Workshop (2002)

Fast Man/Raider Man (2006)

Teenager of the Year (1994)

NonStopErotik (2010)

Oddballs (2000):  Can I Get a Witness (Absolutely great song); Baby That's Art; Pray a Little Faster;

Christmass (2006):